Facts and figures
Companies settling near airports benefit greatly from the regional advantages offered by the location. The facts and figures speak for themselves:
- Berlin is Germany’s most populous and largest city: 3.5 million people live in an area of 892 square kilometres.
- The Berlin-Brandenburg region is Germany's second-largest conurbation: ten million people live in this catchment area.
- Political decision-making centre: The parliament, government and more than 1,000 associations representing business, science, health, politics and culture are based in Berlin.
- Science in Berlin and Brandenburg: The region displays the highest research density in Germany. Berlin is home to four universities, seven advanced technical colleges, four art colleges, over 30 private colleges and more than 60 non-university research facilities. The state of Brandenburg has three universities and four advanced technical colleges as well as the “Konrad Wolf” film university in Babelsberg.
- Around one-third of the world's 50 largest companies are represented in the economic region of Berlin Brandenburg.
- Top 5 employers: Deutsche Bahn AG, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Vivantes – Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH, Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG), Siemens AG
- Berlin offers investors an outstanding scientific and academic environment, low personnel costs, qualified employees and an excellent infrastructure.
- Above-average economic growth: From 2006 to 2015, Berlin's gross domestic product rose by more than 37% while overall GDP in Germany rose by 26.4%.
- The state governments of Berlin and Brandenburg support five clusters and future-oriented industries in the region around the capital: “Healthcare”, “Energy Technology”, “Mobility, Traffic and Logistics”, “ICT, Media, Creative Industry” and “Optics”.
- Berlin is Germany's top conference and congress location: More than 135,000 events were held in 2015 involving more than eleven million participants.
- Tourism boom: After London and Paris, Berlin is the third most popular destination in Europe, recording around 30 million overnight stays by a total of twelve million guests in 2015. Approx. 500,000 guests spend time in the capital on any given day.
- Berlin is a cosmopolitan city in tune with the times – dynamic, multifaceted and creative, offering a wide range of art, culture and entertainment.