Tegel Airport

Banner Picture Tegel Airport TXF
  When Berlin Brandenburg Airport goes into operation, Tegel Airport will finally close.
2008 The Project Group Tegel starts working on proposals for the subsequent use of the site after the airport closes. A research and industry park with green future technologies is to be established here. Additionally, houses are to be built and parks and woodland created.
1996 The partners Berlin, Brandenburg and the Federal Republic agree to build Berlin Brandenburg International Airport (BBI) on the site of Schoenefeld Airport. The airports Tegel and Tempelhof are to be closed.
1990 As part of German reunification, all restrictions for the Berlin airspace are lifted and German airlines can now fly to Tegel.
1975 Tegel becomes Berlin’s most important passenger airport
1968 Tempelhof Airport reaches maximum capacity, and from 1968 on many charter flight airlines move their services to Tegel.
1964 Pan American World Airways (PanAm) commences regular commercial flights to Tegel.
1960 Air France starts the first regular commercial service to Tegel.
1948 Slightly more than a month after the start of the Berlin blockade, the French occupied forces agree to the construction of a new airport in their sector, which is to help the Berlin Airlift. In a record time of only 90 days an airport is built on the former military training site; it has a runway of 2428 metres, which at the time was the longest in Europe. The first aircraft lands here on 5 November 1948.
1945 The site and all buildings on it are severely damaged by bombs. The local authorities plan to establish an allotment colony here to alleviate the housing shortage in Berlin.
1939 During the Second World War the former rocket testing ground becomes a military training ground for the air force.
1933 The Tegel rocket testing site is forced to close due to an unpaid water bill.
1930 A rocket-testing facility is built at Tegel for developing and testing liquid fuel rockets.
1919 The Treaty of Versailles prohibits Germany from having armed aircraft. Work in Tegel stops and the airship hangar built in 1906 is demolished.
1914 The area becomes a military training ground for aerial reconnaissance crews.
1906 An airship hangar is built.
1896 Barracks are built in Jungfernheide for an airship battalion, and experiments start on various designs for dirigibles (Parseval and Groß-Basenach type airships).
1823 The forests of Charlottenburg and Tegel are merged to form the estates of Tegeler Forst and Jungfernheide. Later, Tegel is used as an artillery firing range for the military.