BBI roads are named

Willy-Brandt-Platz will be the main square of Airport City / Schoenefelder Allee leads to BBI / Road network named after German aviation pioneers
The first BBI roads have been named: the municipality of Schoenefeld and Berlin Airports have named a total of nine roads and one square at the future Berlin Brandenburg International Airport. Willy-Brandt-Platz will be the main square right in front of the terminal. Airport City and the main access area for BBI have now also been named. The roads will be completed in time for the opening of BBI and handed over to the public transport network for use.

As Schoenefeld’s Mayor, Dr. Udo Haase, emphasised, “Schoenefeld has been a well-known aviation location for centuries now. The names given to the roads at BBI link this traditional yet modern location to the memory of major aviation pioneers and the man who gave BBI his name.”

“We are building a small city here with first-rate connections to the surrounding area”, said Dr. Manfred A. Körtgen, COO of Berlin Airports. “We are making good progress with the work at BBI and Airport City and have completed 90 per cent of the roads for BBI. Now we are naming them and injecting even more life into BBI.”

The terminal, 4-star superior Steigenberger Hotel and office complex will be located on Willy-Brandt-Platz, right in front of the terminal in Airport City.

Passengers and visitors will be directed to BBI via Schoenefelder Allee. Coming from the motorway, this leads straight to Airport City and the terminal behind it. A total of eight roads in the BBI road network will be named after major German aviation pioneers by the time BBI opens. The names of these pioneers were chosen together with the Gesellschaft zur Bewahrung von Stätten deutscher Luftfahrtgeschichte (GBSL) e.V. (Society for the Preservation of Sites of German Aviation History).

  • Melli-Beese-Ring Amelie Hedwig Boutard-Beese (1886–1925), also known as Melli Beese, was the first female German motorised airplane pilot and the first woman in Germany to obtain a pilot’s licence. A strong critic of the training conditions of flight schools and major aircraft factories at the time, she set up her own flight school, the Flugschule Melli Beese GmbH, in 1912.
  • Hugo-Junkers-Ring Hugo Junkers (1859–1935) was a German engineer, professor, researcher and entrepreneur who acquired and applied his fundamental knowledge in aircraft construction. Hugo Junkers founded and ran his own company, Junkers & Co., in Dessau until 1932. After refusing to cooperate with the National Socialists, he was expropriated in 1933 and banned from the city of Dessau. In 1926, Junkers Luftverkehr AG, which he also founded, merged with Deutsche Aero Lloyd to become Deutsche Luft Hansa.
  • Elly-Beinhorn-Ring Elly Beinhorn-Rosemeyer (1907–2007) was an aviation pioneer and a famous 20th century pilot known for being “Germany’s boldest woman”. She achieved a number of long-distance records in the 30s, including a 7,000 km solo flight to Africa (1931), a round-the-world flight (1932) and a trans-African flight (1933).
  • Hugo-Eckener-Allee Hugo Eckener (1868–1954) was a major aviation pioneer who took over Count Zeppelin’s factory following his death. Under his management, the airships LZ 127 “Graf Zeppelin” and LZ 129 “Hindenburg” were created, as well as the LZ 126/ZR-3 “Los Angeles”, with which he achieved one of the first non-stop flights over the Atlantic.
  • Brunolf-Baade-Strasse Brunolf Baade (1904–1969) was a German engineer and professor. From the late 30s onwards, he was in charge of design engineering at Junkers & Co. in Dessau. Begetter of the GDR aviation industry, he also designed the jet passenger airliner 152.
  • Margarete-von-Etzdorf-Strasse Margarete (Marga) Wolff gen. von Etzdorf (1907–1933) was the second German female to obtain a pilot’s licence and the first woman to hold a position as co-pilot with Deutsche Lufthansa. She flew several solo and long-distance flights, including to Tokyo (1931).
  • August-Heinrich-Euler-Strasse August Heinrich Euler (1868–1957) was permanent secretary in the Reichsluftamt (Imperial Agency of Aviation), German aviation pioneer, and was also issued the first official international pilot’s licence in Germany, which earned him the title of “Germany’s No. 1” in 1910. August Heinrich Euler established the first German factory for motorised planes Euler-Flugmaschinwerke and Germany’s first airfield in Griesheim near Darmstadt.
  • Georg-Wulf-Strasse Georg Wulf (1895–1927) was a German aviation pioneer who became particularly famous for constructing aircraft. As early as 1911 he created aircraft together with Henrich Focke using the most basic materials. He also founded what was to become Focke-Wulf-Flugzeugbau AG with Henrich Focke, where he was technical production manager and test pilot.
Spokesman Lars Wagner

Lars Wagner Head of the Press Office / Spokesman
Berlin Brandenburg Airport

+49 30 6091-70100 +49 30 6091-70070