Passenger record 2016: 32.9 million passengers at Berlin‘s airports12.01.2017
Over three million more passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel in 2016 than in the previous year. In total 32,906,881 passengers were flown. That’s 11.4 % more than 2015. At Schönefeld Airport the number of passengers over the entire year increased by as much as 36.7 % compared with the previous year.
Dr. Karsten Mühlenfeld, CEO of the Board of Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg GmbH says “The passenger record is a great success for the airport company as well as for our customers and partners. My special thanks go to all employees who, due to their excellent work, have made this possible. Each day, every single one of us works hard to ensure the safest and most comfortable flight operations for our passengers. We expect a further increase in passenger numbers in 2017.”
In the current traffic report, you’ll find the figures for passenger numbers, flights and air cargo for December 2016 as well as cumulatively for the entire year.
Traffic figures for January to December 2016
- Passengers: from January to December, 32,906,881 passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel. That’s an increase of 11.4 % compared with the previous year. Some 11,652,922 passed through Schönefeld. That’s 36.7 % more than the previous year. Whilst 21,253,959 passengers flew from Tegel, that’s 1.2 % more than 2015.
- Flights: the number of flights at Berlin’s airports rose in 2016 to 282,062 take offs and landings, an increase of 8.2 % compared with the previous year. At Schönefeld the number of flights grew to 96,562. This represents an increase of 26.8 %. At Tegel some 185,500 take offs and landings were recorded, that’s 0.6 % more than the previous year.
- Cargo: a total of 46,982 tons of air cargo were transported, that represents an increase of 8.7 % over the previous year. At Schönefeld 9,056 tons of cargo were processed (+11.4 %), at Tegel the figure was 37,926 tons (+8.0 %).
Traffic figures December 2016
- Passengers: in December, 2,602,905 passengers passed through Schönefeld and Tegel airports. That’s an increase of 12.8 % compared with the same month in the previous year. In December 1,033,014 passengers flew from Schönefeld (+27.6 %), at Tegel the figure was 1,569,891 passengers (+4.8 %).
- Flights: the number of flights at Schönefeld and Tegel airports grew in December to 22,165 take offs and landings, an increase of 6.3 % compared with December 2015. At Schönefeld, the number of flights grew by 17.2 % to 8,079. At Tegel, the number of flights increased in December by 0.9 % to 14,086.
- Air cargo: 4,367 tons of cargo was processed at Schönefeld and Tegel airports in December 2016, an increase of 15.6 % compared with December 2015. Air cargo at Schönefeld totalled 766 tons, that’s 0.3 % less than in December 2015. At Tegel the figure was 3,601 tons (+19.7 %).
The traffic statistics online: